Study of ozone and aerosol and their influence on climate
and UV radiation
Responsible person: Hugo de Backer
Long Term Goal
- Extend the high quality data set of the vertical distribution of ozone and
ozone columns which started in 1969 and UV spectral irradiation measurements
which started in 1989.
Extract the additional information on aerosol available in the ozone and UV
observations from the ground with spectrophotometers and from space using
Maintain and improve/update of the UV index prediction system.
Inform the public about the state of the ozone layer and the UV radiation.
Exploitation of the data:
- use of ozone profile data in the study of tropospheric ozone events
- use of aerosol information to investigate the effect of aerosol on the UV radiation reaching the ground;
- effect of the aerosol properties on the accuracy of broadband UV observations
- study of the interactions between changes in aerosol and ozone content of the atmosphere and climate changes
- study of the ozone budget over mid-latitudes.